What does Joint Custody mean?

Joint custody can be defined in many ways and should be detailed in a Custody Order. In many cases, parents share joint custody with one of the parents as the primary custodian.  In this case, the child lives primarily with the primary custodial parent and that parent makes the primary decision regarding the child’s care and well being.  The secondary custodian can usually make decisions when the primary custodial parent is unavailable, such as a needed medical treatment consent or decision needed by the child when the primary custodial parent can’t be located.  The important thing to remember is that there is no one answer.  The Custody Order dictates each situation and the terms of custody can be modified as the parents see fit or as needed.

Call an attorney at Metts Law Firm, LLC today to discuss your custody options.

This entry was posted in Child Custody. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to What does Joint Custody mean?

1. Melissa says:

One of the things I’ve learned going through a divorce was to be VERY PREPARED if you are expecting to get joint custody of your kids. There are a lot of questions that you must answer to ensure that the agreement works for you and your ex. This would make co-parenting a whole lot easier in the long run.

2. Nenita says:

My friend had joint custody of their kids. A few months ago, her husband complained of child snatching when she took the kids for a weekend vacation. Just what is child snatching? I thought it was legal, and because she was the primary custodian, did she really break any law?

• Ahmet says:

My wife’s older sister just fiizlnaed her divorce earlier this year. However, most of the effects are barely starting to take place. The kids, visitation, new house etc etc. My son is 8, seeing this happen to his cousins he’s asked me will it ever happen to us.I think I handled it well, out of curiosity though, how SHOULD one handle this situation?

3. Emery says:

Child snatching is when you move a child within the state or outside its borders. There has to be a justification that you did it to prevent your ex spouse from seeing the children. It’s illegal if there is a valid court order or agreement issued. Am not sure though if what you did was child snatching. It’s really best to consult good family lawyers!

• Sawako says:

The mediator is known to the judge which means their input can be sincfiinagt.If you want to win them over, do your best to be flexible, and do NOT make any sort of personal attack on your ex. Your concern is only about the kids and needs to be expressed that way. The more collected and mature you seem, the better the report will be.Good luck.References :

4. Timothy says:

In order to get joint custody, you would have to be fit to look after the child. This is because custody is often based on the best interest of the child, not yours or your spouse’s. This is also the reason why there are a lot of variations in joint custody agreements!

5. Aida B. says:

Should you ask a lawyer to write a joint custody agreement for you or could you do it yourself??? Also can you change it later?

• Mohit says:

Divorce is done according to CIVILIAN reeunrqmeits in the state you are filing in, it has nothing to do with the military at all. If you want to prove it then you can attempt to do so but if charges are laid against the AD member then it can mean loss of Rank and loss of pay plus possible discharge, so if you are looking for alimony or child support then you need to take that into consideration.

6. Jimmy says:

If you share custody of your child, are you entitled to child support?

• Marco says:

they could help you, then changed poositins.. it may be a simple case of an error.. with me, they said my income was too high, but then I got them to consider what I had to pay in health insurance, etc and got them to take me.. but, I’ll be honest, their attorney was overworked and didn’t have the time to devote to my case that it needed (she didn’t call me to speak with me until the day before my hearing).. I chose to hire a private attorney. Then, get a second job, even a third.. if you have to.. get the money to fight this and hire an attorney.. your child is too precious to just not fight.

7. EliasC. says:

If you are awarded joint custody, how long do you have to come up with a parenting plan? Would it be okay to do without this, just as long as you both agree on some kind of arrangement?

• Nuri says:

I wouldn’t sugsget it. I know a couple that spent $ 3000 for an online divorce, they later had a custody issue and when they went before a judge the divorce wasn’t legally finished. So they wasted their money and ended up having to pay for a lawyer and the divorce all over again.Since there are children invloved, I would get a lawyer to ensure visitation, support, etc .is all legally lined out. It could cause major problems down the road, if it turned out to not be legal.

8. Cold Run says:

I do think that a written parenting plan would help you avoid future problems when it comes to child custody provisions. Actually, most divorcing couples go through mediation just to come up with such a plan, and those who fail would have a judge impose the plan on them.

• Eko says:

Could it be that she does not want to unload her aeixnty on you and put you in the middle of the divorce, so she creates some space to calm herself down prior to seeing you again ? If so, she has the greatest respect for you, smart woman.Allow her the space if all else is fine. Talk to her about it.

9. Laila says:

Great Video, I came Great Video, I came across a site that helps get your vedios exposed. They helped 5 of my vedios get ranked on the first page. If you need any help check them out at tubeviews.(net)thanks for the info

10. Dijacir says:

I would have to echo the sentiments to talk to a lewyar before agreeing to anything. It is awfully sleazy to use the kids as a bargaining chip. I do not know all the details of your situation, but he knows they mean everything to you and using them to try to get you to agree to accepting less than what you deserve is his plan.